Sunday, October 7, 2012

Growing into another person...

At home, you tend to be dependent on parents;
Away-from-home, you tend to be dependent on friends.

Uh, ain't not trying to translate it from the the Chinese sayings of “在家靠父母,出外靠朋友”.
but was trying to say it's a tendency to be dependent instead of being independent when there's always somebody for you~

Granted, it's always good to have somebody to count on whenever you need one the most, but when there's no one for you to count on, how are you going to cope with the "I-am-at-the-loss-what-to-do-next" drama?

A story of three years ago - 27th of June 2009 :-
I remembered the day whereby my parents indeed let a van to fetch me all along from my hometown to my beloved uni. That time, I just couldn't imagine if I was asked to come all by myself without my parents, as I had  never well-prepared to be independent yet. *Shame?Lame?*
But then after everything was settled down, with no parents by my side, I have to face things all by myself. Dramatic change huh?
There. The learning process begins.

I have quite a high expectation on myself, yet I gotta admit that I was (or suppose used to be "I am") having minor DPD (Dependent Personality Disorder) sometimes...
However, living about 200 miles distant from the HSH is a powerful factor that could greatly and mentally alter you.

Time flies...
Sometimes, I just hate to be one of it as I prefer to have a company by my side when doing something, but gradually and eventually I would have learned (so much) and have grown up (enough) to take over things on my tod.

Courage. Initiative. The values that I need to extract from others, somewhere and use on me myself.



Note: being independent is different from being a loner...

Photo credit to Jonas Fornerod in his Alone's photography series. 

3 comments:

Red Star Fish said...

Being independent is different from being a loner...
but sometimes one's independence will make others think that she is strong enough to face it alone, let her be. And at last, she become a loner.

CHerYL said...

you are right to certain extent... people sometimes take for granted, but it really depends how u feel. for eg: you grow up, be independent enough to face the world, and your parents juz feel it's time to let you go, but still you won't be alone, cz ur mum and dad are always by ur side whenever u need them... that's wat i am trying to convey.

ChEn hui said...

Bravo!!! LIke this post this much! 4 years past, and we are seeing each other growing up. Some did well. Some did not. This post was what i used to have on year 2. The struggling time, miserable period. When there is nothing or no one with you for the moment you needed, you will learn to be independent and be strong at that moment, naturally. When it becomes a habit, you will learn not to be dependent and handle things better in some sense.
But,it's kinda hard feelings when I see ur friends are walking this way, and i walked another way just hav to settle down my stuffs lo.
Nah. You alr seems like a quite dependent person wat, compared with others. But i still wan to say "bravo!!!!", for your thoughts here. Impressed words, hearty thoughts.