Saturday, October 13, 2012

Yap Beng's Bak Kut Teh 叶铭(干)肉骨茶 at Seri Kembangan, Selangor

This time I was going for the oppa Chinese style... LOL~
It has been my favorite food ever since I know how to eat (exactly).
It has been one of the renowned traditional Chinese cuisine (checked)
It has been a custom breakfast dish for Klang's locals (for really)

YES! IT's nothing but YAP BENG's BAK KUT TEH 叶铭(干)肉骨茶 all the way~
Frankly, I am a northerner, I eat bak kut teh as my lunch as my dinner, but it is never ever be my breakfast. I once ate before at Klang with my friends and I was not really get used to it. I have no idea how could the Klang's neighborhood have such a meaty pork chop as breakfast early in the morning. I mean wouldn't it be too heavy as a breakfast? 
Optionally by this time, I could have it as an ideal brunch ... as the bak kut teh feast fill my empty stomach and most importantly it "consumes" me. HAH!



Together six person, we ordered six dishes for savoring. Here's our list of order:-

1. Chilies Shrimp Stir-fry 辣椒炒虾

 It looks simple, but the chilies and spices used to relish the shrimp stir-fry is fabulous. Fyi, I am not quite a spicy-eater, but this one I give it a green light as it gave me a mummy's home-dish taste. <3>

2. Steamed Silky Tofu 蒸滑豆腐 

Silky white tofu topped with minced meat and savoury gravy, garnished with spring onions
Perfect match to taste along with the bland smooth bean curd. 
I must say there's a secret in the minced meat, simply not an ordinary steamed smooth tofu with minced meat  sauce.

3. Shark Meat Soup 鲨鱼汤

Usually you just eat the shark's fin soup. How about the shark meat soup? 
Sharks are generally caught for their valuable fins instead of the meat, 
but Mr Yap sees the shark meat as a precious meat to be well-simmered into a nourishing soup .
The soup itself is actually an antipasto salty broth comes with Japanese egg tofu, salted vegetables and tomatoes.
The tang aroma of the soup just kept me into it. 

4. Shark Meat Stir-fry 炒鲨鱼 

another savour of shark meat stir fry and soy-sauced Chinese cuisine.
For me, I prefer the soup based shark meat. 

Now, we come to the highlights!!

5. Bak Kut Teh (pork rib soup) 肉骨茶

Bak Kut Teh is so popular among Chinese that it has different regional versions. 
and this Hokkien version of bak kut teh is basically darker and saltier in its soup base.
I am a Teochew, so my version of bak kut teh is not really like that, but still I enjoyed eating the pork rib, pork intestines, pork belly and sipping on its soy-sauce-based soup. 
We had even called for the broth refill~~ 

6. Yap Beng's Dry Bak Kut Teh 干肉骨茶

This is different from the classical bak kut teh, yet it's so popular in Klang town exclusively. 
It's called "dry" because there's no broth inside but changed to a thicker soy-sauce gravy. 
The pork rib / fatback is actually stewed with some complex condiments to get a tangier taste.
I could taste on some aromatic dried cuttlefish inside which was pretty matchy with the stewed pork.
Hah, the dish was finished the fastest among all and it gained everybody's favorite.


We were having some Chinese tea while having the brunch with bak kut teh feast to somehow helps to speed up the digestive process of fat. Good one~
Talking about the tea, you know how to control the bitterness of your tea? You know? You don't know?
We asked Mr Yap  (a descendant of the Yap's family original bak kut teh since 80's) about it and he demo on it. One more technique learned - “art of tea infusion” (沏茶). 


Mr Yap (left) and Steven


it's a common sense~
Never fully filled your teapot with the tea leaves inside, but accordingly (agak-agak I mean) to the person who wanna drink it. After few minutes, pour the tea into another standby little teapot with no tea leaves infused inside. Then only poured into teacups. Now, you won't have the tea-leaves soaking inside so long until it gets so bitter. Go for another hot water filling after finished drinking.
Mission accomplished! 

Menu available in the shop 

Verdict: For me, it is economic and affordable. RM 10 per person would be enough to enjoy the greatest of  dry or soup bak kut teh.

Location:
叶铭(干)肉骨茶 (巴生分行)
Yap Beng Bak Kut Teh Restaurant (Klang's Branch)
Jalan Equine 9D, Taman Equine,
Bandar Putra Permai,
43300 Seri Kembangan,
Selangor.
(located at the end of the shop lot)


Just look for this signboard ^^
Restoran Yap Beng Dry Bak Kut Teh


Group Photo credit to W.S.W.H. Photograhy
Click for more great photos ^^

p/s: credit to my BFF, Grace too. LOL **

No comments: